- Provide a highly skilled, volunteer, bush land search and rescue service for the general community, and in particular, the bushwalking and outdoors communities.
- Utilise the skills, knowledge and remote area experience of our members drawn from bushwalking clubs and the outdoor industry.
- Work together with, and assist, the NSW Police Service and other Emergency Services as required.
- Be recognised as the most suitable, capable and experienced group for remote area land search and rescue.
- Promote modern bush land search and rescue skills through being a unit of the NSW State Emergency Service (SES) and liaison with other rescue and emergency services. (To this end we run the Emergency Services Wilderness Navigation Shield – NavShield).
- Provide a comprehensive training program to complement the skills of bushwalkers.
- Promote social interaction within the membership of BSAR through a range of formal and informal activities.
- Actively encourage safety in outdoors activities.
- Promote bushwalking, Bushwalking NSW, and its clubs amongst the wider community.